I know I'm late in the game but if anybody is having trouble deciding on a texteditor for django development pycharm is very helpful http://www.jetbrains.com/pycharm/
Prerequisites and Installation
Let's all make sure we have the following installed and ready to go.
- Python 2.6 or higher
- Django 1.3 (this is the latest stable version)
- Text editor (use what you want, but it's up to you to know how to use it)
This course also requires you to have the following skills already:
- Basic working knowledge of Python (check out Python 101 on P2PU if you want to learn)
- Basic understanding of command line tools
Once you have everything installed and meet the skill requirements for this course please do the following:
- Create a django project called mysite
- Run the development server
- Point your browser to the development browser and take a screenshot. You should see the generic django splash screen.
Read the "Creating a Project" and "The development server" of chapter1 in the django documentation to learn how to do this initial set up.
If you have not already please post your suggestions for a class project in Task 1. We will need that for next week.