WK 7 - Cases: Knowledge Forum, WISE, Math Forum, Compendium, embedded phenomena, immersive enviro's
This week we will hopefully have a guest presentation by Sandy McAuley, who has worked with Knowledge Forum (did his PhD with Scardamalia), indigenous communities, and lately also been involved in work around MOOCs. We are still waiting to confirm, but hopefully he will be able to join us at our normal meeting time on Saturday.
Therefore, I hope everyone can read the article he suggested:
McAuley, A. and Walton, F. (2011). Decolonizing cyberspace: Online support for the Nunavut MEd. IRRODL, 12, 4.
In addition, this week we were planning to look at different case studies of tools for CSCL teaching and learning. I have added a few below, you are free to choose other ones. It would be great if you could edit this post and add your name next to which ever tool you choose. Read the article - or do your own literature search - and please blog about it (we won't have that much time to discuss this in the weekly talk). You are also free to add an article to EdutechWiki about the tool, if there isn't already one, or improve on the existing one.
- Compendium (Okada, A. and Buckingham Shum, S. (2006) Knowledge Mapping with Compendium in Academic Research and Online Education, 22nd World Conference, International Council of Distance Education, Rio de Janeiro)
- Virtual Math Teams (Stahl, G. (2006). Supporting group cognition in an online math community: A cognitive tool for small-group referencing in text chat. Journal of Educational Computing Research, 35, 2).
- Argunaut (Asterhan, C. S. C. & Schwarz, B. B. (2010). Online moderation of synchronous e-argumentation. International Journal of Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning, 5, 259 - 282.)
- WISE (Linn, M.C. and Clark, D. and Slotta, J. D. (2003). WISE design for knowledge integration. Science Education, 87, 4.)
- Group Scribbles (Tan, N. Y. L., Chen, W., Looi, C. K. (2009). GroupScribbles as a Rapid CSCL Tool: Learning Experiences of Pre-service Teachers. ICCE 2009.) - STIAN
We will meet as usual, on Saturday at 5PM EST, in Etherpad.