Lesson 1 - Getting user input; manipulating DOM
Hello everybody, and welcome to the first week's lesson! Please watch the following videos and read the source code of the accompanying examples.
- Video 1.0 - About the Course; Contents of Lesson 1
- Video 1.1 - Review of the DOM (Document Object Model); basic concepts of event handling; using jQuery. (This whole video will probably be review for you if you've done any significant DOM manipulation and/or jQuery programming.)
- Example 1.1 - changing color, size, and position of a <div> using jQuery in response to button clicks.
- Video 1.2 - Delving deeper into event handling; handling events in a cross-browser way
- Example 1.2 - Getting the x and y location of mouse up and mouse down events
- Example 1.3 - Timers
- Video 1.4 - Functional programming. A bit of theory for the week: what is a function, anyway? Functions as first-class objects; anonymous callback functions; functional programming. Understanding at a deep level how functions and closures work, and mastering functional programming techniques, will help make you a much better programmer!